West Texas A&M University is a university, which was established on September 20, 1910, is located in Canyon, Texas. The University was originally known and was established as the West Texas State Normal College and was one out of the seven teachers’ colleges in Texas financed by the state.
West Texas State Normal College was formally a white-only school and had 152 white students – black students were not admitted as at the time – with 16 faculty members in its first year of opening and were first presided by Robert B. Cousins.
Helen Neal happened to be the first black student to graduate in 1962.
About West Texas A&M University
The school’s Administration Building was put into construction the year coming after the ratification of the bill to establish West Texas State Normal College.
The building only had classrooms, laboratories, libraries, and offices.
Unfortunately, the school caught fire and was burnt down on March 25, 1914. Classes had to be held in area churches, courthouses, and empty buildings.
A new Administration Building was opened in 1916. The American artist Georgia O’Keeffe was employed to be the head of the Art Department starting from the fall of 1916 to February 1918.
In 1919, four years of college degrees were granted, and in the years to come. In 1922, the college was admitted to the American Association of Teachers Colleges.
The name of the school became West Texas State Teachers College in 1923. The late 1940s saw several veterans returning from World War II registering at the institution. The school again changed its name in 1949, to West Texas State College.
In the 1960s, the school stopped being a regional teacher’s college and was reformed into a state university. The Governor, John B. Connally signed a bill in 1963, the school’s name was then finally changed to West Texas State University.
At the time, West Texas A&M University earned the College of Arts and Sciences, a graduate school, and professional schools of business.
By the latter part of the 1960s, West Texas State had begun to amass achievements as a school – it had its own board of regents, founded a School of Agriculture and a School of Fine Arts, and organized a Department of Nursing.
West Texas A&M University school had its first broadcast – from the college radio station KWTS- in 1972.
West Texas State University became a part of the Texas A&M University System on September 1, 1990. 1993 was when it began to use the name West Texas A&M University.
Under the change in the system, the school was first presided by Barry B. Thompson.
The university started its movement -Share your Pride movement- to source for $35 million in January 2009. The purpose of this movement to source money was for faculty/program support, and capital projects. The movement came to stop in August 2014 and the school was able to source more than $50 million.
READ: Coalition Application
West Texas A&M University Acceptance Rate
West Texas A&M University has an acceptance rate of 67.4% and is therefore considered to be a selective university. 60 undergraduate programs, 38 master’s programs, and two doctoral programs are offered at the University.
These programs are offered via its six colleges/schools and graduate school.
The University has a Buffalo Sports Park which accepts a huge group of artificial athletic fields in the United States.
The University also has an Advanced Wind Turbine Test Facility which is one of the biggest testing structures in the world for both large and small wind turbines.
The Advanced Wind Turbine Test Facility is not the only research facility owned by the school, West Texas A&M University also makes use of the Killgore Research Center. The Killgore Research Center, holds the Attebury Honors Program, Ronald E. McNair Scholars Program, and WTAMU Academic and Research Environmental Health and Safety office, for the execution of research on blood-borne pathogens, biosafety, and occupational health.
Another research facility is the renovated Palo Duro Research Facility (PDRF) which was inaugurated in August 2010 to improve collective research and coalitions for research affiliation that holds the Environmental Quality & Technology Research Laboratory, Environmental Labs and University Research Alliance.
West Texas A&M University also runs the Beef Carcass Research Center and Feedlot Research Group in order to proffer solutions to the research requirements of the cattle industry. The University governs the Cross Bar Cooperative Management Area, a 12,000-acre prairie site alongside the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) which is the owner in order to promote the outdoor study to curtail adverse interactions between wildlife and people.
West Texas A&M University also collaborates with many other institutions – this includes the Alternative Energy Institute, Athletic Training Room and Education Laboratory, Center for the Study of the American West, Computer Information Systems Software and Network Security Testing Lab, Cooperative Research, Education, and Extension Team, and Dryland Agricultural Institute- for the purpose of executing research endeavors.