World Bank Group is recruiting suitable candidates to fill in the position of a Senior Social Development Specialist for immediate employment.
World Bank Group is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions. In fiscal year 2018, the WBG committed $67 billion in loans, grants, equity investments and guarantees to its members and private businesses, of which $24 billion was concessional finance to its poorest members.
Job Title: Senior Social Development Specialist
Organization: World Bank Group
Job Identification: req11628
- The Social Sustainability and Inclusion Practice has a growing work program in Nigeria, encompassing project loans and grants, advisory and analytical programs and active partnerships supporting a wide range of engagements focusing on fragility, conflict and violence (FCV); social cohesion and resilience; women empowerment and gender equality, social inclusion, citizen engagement and social accountability; and social risk management.
- SAWS1, one of the two Social Sustainability and Inclusion units in West and Central Africa, is looking to recruit a Senior Social Development Specialist/Senior Social Sustainability and Inclusion Specialist to lead our engagement on FCV and social cohesion in Nigeria.
- The Senior Social Development Specialist/Senior Social Sustainability and Inclusion Specialist will be based in Abuja, Nigeria and will report directly to SAWS1 Practice Manager.
- The Senior Social Development/Sustainability and Inclusion Specialist will be responsible for managing the planning of large, complex, and strategically significant activities currently led/co-led by the Social Sustainability and Inclusion Practice.
- She/he will provide oversight, coordination, and strategic guidance for the implementation of activities according to agreed work plans and corresponding deliverables.
- She/he will also coordinate the implementation of the activities in the broader context of World Bank’s contributions to the Government of Nigeria’s development agenda.
- Serve as main focal point / coordinator within the World Bank Nigeria Team for FCV issues, including the North-East program. This will include leading the engagement toward delivery of the core objective of ‘reducing fragility in the North-East and other areas affected by conflict’ in the FY21-25 Country Partnership Framework (CPF), as well as leadership of a planned new advisory and analytical program on FCV issues.
- He/she will promote coherence, communication and collaboration among World Bank activities. Externally, this will involve participation in donor coordination fora and the fostering of close partnerships and common approaches with UN agencies, bilaterals and other stakeholders, to strengthen the humanitarian-development-peace nexus.
- Lead or co-lead donor-supported activities (Trust Funds) to provide technical assistance for strengthening Nigerian systems for recovery planning, coordination, and peacebuilding.
- This position is suited to constructive, highly motivated team players with an eye for detail, understanding of the bigger picture context of operations, and creative problem-solving abilities.
- The successful candidate should have strong operational and analytical skills, have practical experience handling complex/sensitive social development issues through participatory processes of stakeholder engagement, and be able to integrate social development considerations in an operational context.
- Master's Degree or PhD in Social Sciences (Gender Studies, Anthropology, Sociology, Social Development, Public Health, Conflict and Violence Prevention etc.), and a minimum of eight (8) years of relevant professional experience in social/community development, inclusion, resilience, etc.
- Demonstrated team leadership experience and operational skills and experience in the areas of community empowerment, social inclusion, forced displacement, citizen engagement, local service delivery, community driven development, fragility, conflict and violence in low- and middle-income countries.
- Experience with managing operations in low capacity, fragile and conflict-affected environments, working on complex multi-sectoral development challenges and working in a federal system.
- Knowledge and experience in addressing issues covered by the World Bank’s ESF and social safeguards policies in complex and challenging settings, and across practices.
- Social Development implications on policies, institutions, and operations –Solid understanding of the implications of social development on policy, institutions, and operations.
- Participation and Consultation - Extensive experience conducting social development consultative and participatory approaches, deriving results that resonate with the client; ability to coach others in the application of the interventions.
- Analytical Tools for Social Sustainability - Extensive experience conducting social development analyses, deriving results that resonate with the client; ability to coach others in the application of the tools.
Apply for job
SuccessJoint – A Registered Career Coach, Guide, and Recruiter. Committed to unveiling Genuine Job Updates in Nigeria.